I hope that you are all having a great week so far. Today I wanted to share a recipe with you that I made a few weeks ago, Chick and Brown Rice Casserole. You can find the original recipe here. I didn’t use my own picture because as delicious as this dish was, my picture wasn’t as pretty as the one below. I really need to upgrade my phone. Sigh. Moving on…
– Nonstick cooking spray. I use an olive oil spray that I found at Trader Joe’s.
– 1 16 oz box of mushrooms
– 3 green onions, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3/4 cup fat-free milk
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1/2 a cup of whipped cream cheese
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons lemon zest
– 2 8.8 ounces microwavable pouch cooked brown rice, or I used one bag of Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice.
– 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
– 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes on each side.
3. Add the green onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes.
4. In a bowl, combine the skim milk and the flour. Add to the skillet.
5. Add the flour and milk mixture into the skillet.
6. Add the low-sodium chicken broth. Stir the mixture together until it’s bubbling and a little bit thick.
7. Remove your skillet from the heat and whisk or stir in your cream cheese until it is melted.
8. Add in the lemon juice and zest.
9. Pour the brown rice into a baking dish, and then pour the mixture from your skillet over the rice.
10. Pull the chicken breasts and then pour it over the mixture.
11. Sprinkle the whole wheat bread crumbs on top.
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until it is golden brown.
13. Serve and enjoy!
This is the perfect recipe for when you those winter nights when you just want something warm and comforting. I used mushrooms because I had some that needed to used, but you can use a vegetable instead if you don’t like mushrooms.
Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope that you all have a wonderful day! 🙂