I hope that you are all having a great week so far. I also want to thank you all for all of your birthday wishes! I had a great day on Monday despite the rainy weather here. Stay tuned on Friday when I will be sharing some of the fabulous gifts that I got! 🙂
Today I wanted to share a recipe called Baked Penned with Roasted Vegetables. I made this last week and it is delicious. This recipe is inspired by a Giada De Laurentiis recipe that you can find here.
Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables
1 pound of whole wheat penne
2 zucchini chopped into quarters or cubes.
2 summer squash chopped into quarters or cubes.
4 mushrooms chopped in half.
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
3 cups marinara sauce
1 cup of low-fat mozzarella
whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. On a baking sheet, toss the zucchini, squash, and mushrooms in extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Cook your whole wheat pasta for 6 minutes. You are only cooking it for 6 minutes because you will be cooking it again in the oven.
4. Mix the zucchini, squash, mushrooms, low-fat mozzarella, and marinara sauce into the pasta.
5. Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan.
6. Top with whole wheat bread crumbs.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
You can find my marinara sauce recipe here. Next time I think that I will add red peppers or cherry tomatoes to for some more color. I also used Sargento low-fat mozzarella because I like it the best. If you don’t want to use the whole wheat bread crumbs, parmesan cheese would be good, or Italian bread crumbs. This recipe is perfect for fall and I hope that you will all try it. 🙂
Thank you so much for stopping by and have a great day! 🙂