Last night I made pesto sauce using basil from our “urban garden.” We have a balcony where we have some pots of different things growing and basil is one of them. More on the “urban garden” another time though. 🙂 Nothing is better than fresh basil. Today I wanted to share my pesto sauce recipe with you. Pesto with some pasta is one of my favorite things to make during the summer. It is light, easy, and so delicious. You can change the amount of the ingredients to how much you are going to serve, but this what I make for me and my husband. We usually have a little bit left over.
– 1 cup of fresh basil.
– 1 glove of garlic
– 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts. *Note: Trader Joe’s sells toasted pine nuts which saves you an extra step of toasting them.
– Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Put your basil, garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts into a food processor.
2. Pulse until you have a thick paste.
3. Mix the sauce into your favorite pasta.
I like to use rotini because then the pesto gets into the little nooks of the pasta. So yummy. I also only eat whole wheat pasta when I eat it at home. But you can use any pasta that you want. It is also tasty if you add grilled or sautéed chicken to it. I also don’t add parmesan cheese into the sauce when I make it, but you can definitely do that. Add about 1/2 cup if you do. I prefer to sprinkle it on when I’m ready to eat it though. 🙂
Well that is it folks. I hope that you enjoy this recipe, and thank you so much for stopping by! 🙂